If you’ve never worked with a graphic or web designer before, you likely have questions. The truth is, many folks may be unfamiliar with the actual design process. They may wonder what to expect and how it unfolds. And they may not be aware of their responsibility when working with a creative professional.
If that’s the case, you’ll likely find the following information quite useful. The list below covers some very common frequently asked questions.
All Businesses Have Policies in Some Form –
Design is No Different.
An aspect that is often overlooked is the fact that designers ARE business owners. And just like restaurants usually have policies such as “no shirt, no shoes – no service!” Each studio may have different policies as well.
It’s also very helpful for a potential client to take the time to learn a bit about the designer. Most have an “About” page allowing you to get a sense of who they are. It’s also beneficial to review their online portfolio. This can give you a sense of their work style and if it aligns with your vision. Some specialty textures alone on one of my print projects is what inspired a new client relationship!
Most importantly, professionalism on both sides of the business relationship needs to be respected. It also lays the foundation for effective communication which is paramount during any project.
Frequently Asked Questions:
With the above being said, this list provides a pretty good overview of questions clients generally inquire about. It can take some of the guess work out of matters.
- Who is the right creative professional for your needs?
- How do you begin on a project?
- What is the actual design process?
- What is the time frame on a project?
- What is the pricing, fees and payment process?
- Do you provide website design?
- Do you offer website updates & maintenance?
- Is SEO (search engine optimization) really necessary for a website?
- Do you offer web hosting or domain name registration?
- What are the client’s responsibilities and necessary communication?
- Why are your design prices not listed?
- Do you offer retainers?
- Do you provide any pro-bono work or offer discounted rates?
- Do you have client testimonials?
You may read the answers to the questions here.
The answers themselves actually provide an overview of studio policies.
Other things to keep in mind…
The design process is one which unfolds between a creative and the client. Designers essentially interpret and transform your ideas. Through our creative concepts, they’re translated into a unique finished product which better communicates your message to your audience. Professional design CAN transform and positively impact your business!
Written by Barbara Rogers of Future Primitive Graphics. Helping businesses grow through better design and search visibility solutions. From creating your business identity, designing and maintaining your print/digital assets to the importance of SEO for your website.
Creatively collaborating with those who genuinely want to make the world a better place with their products or services.